VEGAN CHRISTMAS RECIPES
With Christmas around the corner, we are so excited to get in the kitchen and bake! Here are our three Christmas recipes we'd love you to try:
1. Christmas Berry Trifle with Coconut 'Mascarpone Cream'
- 3 cans Coconut Cream
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 10 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 200g plant based butter
- 200g coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g vanilla vegan yoghurt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 325g gluten free flour of your choice
- 1.5 cups of cashews
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 500g strawberries
- Place coconut cream and lemon zest in a small saucepan and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and cornflour until combined then add to the cream mixture.
- Lastly add the maple syrup and turmeric and whisk.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking often. Once the mixture starts to thicken, reduce the heat and continue whisking until mixture is a thick and slightly jiggly texture.
- Remove from heat, when cool you can taste and add more maple syrup or lemon depending on preference.
- In a mixing bowl beat together plant-based spread and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sieve in the flours and baking powder and fold into butter mixture.
- Add the vanilla, yogurt and lemon juice and zest and fold in gently until combined.
- Place in buttered tin and bake at 180ºC for 30 minutes (do not open the oven door during this time)
- Test to make sure cooked through and remove to cool in tin for 10 minutes before flipping onto rack for further cooling.
- Cut into cubes and set aside
- Chilling the coconut cream overnight will cause the cream to separate, leaving the water on bottom. Scoop just the cream out of the two cans (you can use water in smoothies or other cooking) and blend together with sweetener until fluffy. Set aside back in fridge.
- Place remaining ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Fold cashew mix into coconut cream until combined and set aside back in fridge until ready.
Roast Strawberry Compote
- Place strawberries on a baking tray
- Drizzle with maple syrup and roast in oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes or until roasted.
- Blend with 1/2 bunch mint leaves, depending on preference. Don’t blend until completely smooth to keep a bit of texture.
2. Vegan Gingerbread men
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Combine ground flax seed with water and in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. This makes a flax egg.
- While that's sitting, in a large bowl, beat together vegan butter, brown sugar and molasses until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- When flax egg is ready, add that and vanilla to the bowl and beat again.
- Add in flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Stir these together with a spatula until combined.
- Use hands to form 2 equal size balls.
- Lay down a piece of parchment paper, then one ball, then another same size piece of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Ginger Bread cupcakes
- 150 g dairy-free margarine
- 225 g coconut sugar
- 150 g dairy-free yoghurt
- 150 ml oat milk
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases and preheat the oven to 180°C
- Beat together the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the yoghurt and milk, (don't panic - it will look 'curdled' at this stage but it really doesn't matter!).
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt into the bowl and fold in gently to avoid knocking out any of the air.
- Divide the cake mixture between the 12 cake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes until an inserted skewer or knife comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Decorate as you wish!